I’m happy to announce today, that I have officially added the Maemo platform, to the list of platforms that Qontacts supports. I have received a lot of requests to support the Maemo platform, e.g. Nokia N900, and I’m glad that it’s finally out there for the public. I have updated the main website, with screenshots, and information, as well as the help section, with instructions on how to download and install the app.
It was built with Qt framework for C++, the framework that Nokia is pushing for their devices. I have to say that I’m amazed of how well this framework is supported, at least on the Maemo operating system. I found it very well structured and easy, and above all, it’s widely adopted framework to build reliable cross-platform apps.
Qontacts List of Supported Platforms
With the recent support of Maemo, here is the list of Qontacts’ supported platforms.
- iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch)
- Java ME (Nokia Series 40, S60, Sony Ericsson)
- Windows Mobile (through JavaFX)
- Maemo (Nokia N900)
How To Download and Install for Maemo
I have uploaded the app on the Extras-devel repository of Maemo.org. To be able to download and install it, you can follow these simple steps.
First, you need to make sure that you have updated your Maemo software, to the latest software release, which at the time of this writing, is PR 1.2 (V10.2010.19-1). You need to add and enable a new application catalog, which is the Maemo extras-devel.
- Go to Application manager –> Application catalogs –> New
- Fill the following information to enable the Maemo extras-devel catalog
- Catalog name: Maemo Extras-devel
- Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
- Distribution: fremantle
- Components: free non-free
- Once the new catalog refreshes, go to Download -> Utilities. Start typing qontacts, and you will find it there. Just click on it to install it.
I would like to thank my friend Hichem Zait, for his testing and feedback for the Maemo version.
I hope Qontacts was useful, and served its purpose. If you used it, please share with me your comments, and thoughts, I would love to hear them out. Finally, as a friend of mine once said, enjoy your updated Qontacts.